Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Do you have a "fixed" or a "growth" mindset?

“So what are you going to do with that?” 

I have been blown away by the number of times I have heard this question when I tell them people about personal development classes I plan to take this spring. My answer is straight on, I hope to be inspired by learning new things, which in turn will make me a more interesting person not just to others but to myself. Knowledge inspires. Why do we expect or even want immediate payback for everything? 

We have all heard the adage “There is a vast difference between living and existing.” What I take this to mean is that when you know more, you are able to understand more, which leads to inspiration and a more fulfilling life. 

The more you learn, the more more comfortable you are in other people's company, whether it be a neighbor; your kid’s teacher; colleagues; or peers.  As we grow  older, our life does not stay the same. It is in continual change. You may switch jobs; move across country; have children (or not); your children grow up and move away; the changes go on and on and on. Challenging yourself with new ideas and a new ways of thinking about things can serve as a great survival technique.  

I have recently started a book “Mindset” by world-renowned Stanford University Professor psychologist Carol Dweck -  She talks about “fixed mindset versus growth mindset, a simple idea that makes all the difference.”  

“People in a fixed mindset believe you either are or aren’t good at something, based on your inherent nature, because it’s just who you are. They believe that talent results in success - without effort.

People in a growth mindset believe anyone can be good at anything, they believe their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work - brains and talent are just the starting point.”  http://mindsetonline.com/whatisit/about/index.html.

So the next time someone asks “What are you going to to with that? I will tell them that I have a “Growth Mindset” and it is never too late to learn something new and wonderful and in turn have a new love for life. 

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something" 
Thomas Huxley

No comments:

Post a Comment