Saturday, January 24, 2015

Let Me Buy You a Drink Horace.

“I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, which is why I don’t have any clean laundry, because come on, who wants to wash clothes on the last day of their life?”

     Roman lyric poet, satirist and critic Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Horace sounds like someone I  could sit and have a drink with. It's hard not to appreciate his attitude. In fact after coming across this quote I plan to dig into his life a little more. Anyone with the titles "lyric poet," "satirist" and "critic" before their name must have some interesting life stories.  

I love to read everything. Books, magazines, newspapers, online media, etc.  and I often come across  great tidbits of information that I want to tell others, or that I want to save to read again at a later date.  The note app on my smartphone contains many of theses little tidbits.  

Seven years ago when our twin girls were about two years old. I started to save articles that wanted them to read when they are older. 

You know the feeling when you read something and it really makes you think and you wish your kids were old enough to share that particular topic with them?  This was my reason for literally tearing out and saving articles.  

The genre of topics were many; some were inspiring, others covered finances, some were articles on relationships; and some discussed clever cooking tips.  I would clip them out of magazines, newspapers, jot  down notes and put them in a box titled “advice from mom.” 

The quote mentioned above by Horace would probably have ended up in my collection with a note scrawled on it saying “don’t worry about getting your dishes done, play with your kids,” or something along that line.

Fast forward 7 years, add a leaky ice maker that dripped though the floor to the basement; a box full of soggy wet and ruined papers, and you now know my reason for this blog. 

It is a place safe from the evil ice maker and any other natural disaster that can destroy my collections of information I think is worth sharing and saving.

 Read to expand your world. Then share what you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment